Can I be ordained through Winebrenner Theological Seminary?
No. Winebrenner does not offer ordination. We simply prepare people for ordination serving with the Churches of God, General Conference and other denominations. It is very important that individuals seek out the appropriate commissions within their church affiliation to understand the process and requirements for ordination in their particular denomination, body, or fellowship.

Does Winebrenner offer an online program or distance learning options?

The MAPT and MDIV degrees are fully online. The CACREP accredited MACC degree makes use of  distance delivery for certain courses. A fully online option for MACC is available but has not yet received CACREP accreditation. The DMin degree is available online with two required summer intensives in a face-to-face setting.

Is Winebrenner Theological Seminary Accredited?

Winebrenner Theological Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, and by the Higher Learning Commission. Winebrenner is chartered by the State of Ohio and has received a Certificate of Authorization from the Ohio Department of Higher Education. Interested parties may view documentation.

Concerns or complaints regarding the accreditation status of the institution can be submitted to each agency listed below using the provided link.

Is Winebrenner affiliated with any particular denomination?
Winebrenner derives its name from the founder of the denomination, John Winebrenner, who established the group in 1825 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Winebrenner serves as the only seminary of the CGGC. Approximately two-thirds representing a variety of different denominational backgrounds.

Does my undergraduate degree need to be in Bible, Pre-Seminary or Religious Studies, or Christian Ministries?
No! Certainly such degrees can be advantageous, but they are not required. At Winebrenner, you will find a diverse group of students and educational backgrounds. It’s common to sit next to one student with a Bible degree from a small Christian liberal arts college and another who majored in accounting at a large state university.

What if I don’t have a bachelor’s degree, can I still attend Winebrenner?
Winebrenner Theological Seminary is working hard to break down obstacles to a seminary education. Many students may qualify to begin working towards a graduate degree without previously holding a bachelor’s degree. Head to our Bachelor Equivalency page to submit an inquiry and to start a conversation with our Coordinator of New Student Engagement, Adam Willford.

I don’t feel called to “pastor” a church, but I’m still interested in learning more about the Bible and my faith. What can seminary offer me if I don’t become a pastor?
There are lots of people who pursue theological education without becoming a pastor or seeking ordination. You’ll find students who are planning to teach at the university level, Christian school principals, clinical counselors, lawyers, managers, businesspeople, and lay leaders who are simply seeking to enhance their own knowledge and deepen their own faith. While a lot of people do attend seminary to prepare for ordained ministry, it’s not a requirement and you certainly won’t be alone if that’s not in your plans.

Does Winebrenner offer financial aid?
Yes! As a result of the generosity of the seminary’s friends and donors, Winebrenner is able to offer financial aid based on financial need. Students are required to apply each year before the financial aid deadline.

Professional Licensure and Online Courses
If you are considering an online academic program that leads to a professional license, it is highly recommended you contact the appropriate licensing agency where you plan to receive instruction before beginning your academic program. SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements.  Academic programs and individual graduates must meet standards set by that state’s licensure requirements in order for a graduate to be eligible for a license.

How do I request my Winebrenner transcript?
Follow this link to our Transcript Request form.